Read on for more about the ten good reasons why you should visit Cyprus...
1. You're guaranteed a warm welcome: Cypriot people are well known for their hospitality and friendly nature. Anywhere you go on the island expect a warm and relaxing atmosphere. Check out any of the many Festival events that take place in Cyprus and you will see what we mean. The festivities go long into the night, and a splendid time is guaranteed for all! One of the biggest summer festivals is the Limassol Beer Festival in July.
2. Wonderful Beaches and Exotic Resorts: Cyprus is home to some of the most beautiful beaches and resorts to be found anywhere in the world. Rest assured you will have clear blue waters and golden sands. We all know of the major resorts at Paphos, Protaras, Ayia Napa, The Akamas Peninsula and Limassol. Each of these resorts are home to fantastic beaches just waiting to be explored!
3. Wonderful Tourist Attractions: Cyprus has a rich and varied history, with many civilisations thriving on the islands, from the Greek, Roman and Byzantine eras to the present day. Some of the most famous attractions on the island include Paphos Harbour and Castle, nearby Aphrodite's Rock on the south-western coast, Curium and Kolossi Castle near Limassol, the city of Nicosia and its ancient and mysterious city walls, the wonderful Troodos Mountains and the delights of Northern Cyprus.
4. The Local Cuisine: Cypriot food is something that has to be experienced throughout your holiday. Typical Cyprus dishes are a merging of Greek, Turkish, Middle Eastern and African dishes. The main native dish is Mezze, which in general is a selection of Cypriot foods that make up a meal, and in total can comprise up to 30 small courses! Meze dishes usually contain meat and fish dishes, along with fruits and salad. If you enjoy fish, you will be guaranteed some fine dishes, as Cyprus is one of the most important fishing locations of the Mediterranean. Exotic dishes like squids, octopus and red mullet are popular catches of the day wherever you go!
5. The Local Wines: You need a good wine to add to your meal, so you'll be spoilt for choice in Cyprus! It is estimated that wine has been produced in Cyprus for over 4,000 years due to the favourable climate - the production of the sweet red wine called Commandaria, which has been produced for over 700 years. You can enjoy a wine tasting tour of the local winery estates. If you happen to be on the island at a time of harvest, you can enjoy the wine festivals that take place over the island, including the Limassol Wine Festival that takes place in August, and the October's Grape Festival in Afamia.
6. Fantastic Scenery and Adventure Holidays: Cyprus is home to some magnificent scenery. The island is a paradise for walkers and trekkers, and walking holidays can be enjoyed all year round. There is a great variety of walks available for the tourist, from hillside paths that are located in the Troodos Mountains, to paths along the coast and nature trails. Some of the best views available are in the Platres in the Troodos Mountains, together with the Akamas Peninsula. The Troodos Mountains is a place where you can ski in winter, and enjoy the stunning views of Mount Olympus. The wonderful villages throughout the Troodos Mountains are home to ten UNESCO listed world heritage painted churches. Panayia tou Araka is a classic example, located near the village of Lagoudera, Remember that photography is not allowed and all visitors should be appropriately dressed.
7. Ease of Access: Cyprus is a destination that is well served by the major airline carriers and airports of Europe. With a flight time of less than five hours from the UK and Ireland to Larnaca and Paphos Airport, it has never been more affordable and easier to get to Cyprus!
8. Great Nightlife. Cyprus is well known for its brilliant nightlife, suitable for all tastes, so if that is your thing, you will be well catered for here. Ayia Napa on the east coast is a paradise for clubbers, with around 20 nightclubs catering for revellers. The nightlife in Larnaca is in the main located around the seafront and palm tree lined promenade. Limassol is similar to Ayia Napa in terms of nightlife but at a smaller scale. Paphos is more relaxed and offers great eateries, specialising in fresh fish from the Mediterranean. The capital city of Cyprus is Nicosia, and this offers many bars, restaurants and nightclubs also! If you want a nightlife that is away from the beaten track, simply visit the fishing villages along the coast. You will be guaranteed a great welcome and a wonderful Cypriot experience.
9. Great Golfing: If you fancy a few holes on the green, Cyprus has plenty for you to consider! There are four golf courses in Cyprus that are as good as championship standard, three near Paphos and one near Limassol. Tsada Golf Course, the Aphrodite Hills Golf Club near Pissouri and Secret Valley Golf Course arte located near Paphos. Vikla Golf Course is located at Vikla Village near Limassol. Korineum Golf Course in the Esentepe region serves Northern Cyprus.
10. Ancient Heritage All Around You: Cyprus is steeped in history, and wherever you go on the island you are surrounded by the ancient mysteries of the island. The museums of the island are a good place to start to learn all about Cyprus. Check out the Byzantine Museum, The Archaeological Museum in Ano Paphos and the Ethnographical Museum. The World Heritage Site at The Tomb Of The Kings is a great place to view the relics of the Greek and Roman past that date back to the 3rd Century BC. The ruins of New Paphos will enthrall you - an earthquake destroyed this ancient city that dates from the 4th Century BC. Be mesmerized by the famous Paphos Mosaics here at the Odeion. The restored open-air theatre has been restored. Halfway between Larnaca and Limassol are the stone-age settlements of Choirokitia.
Probably the only way to enjoy this wonderful island destination is to secure a high quality vehicle rental and explore at your own pace. Heading to Cyprus on holidays? Visit Novacarhire.com's Car Rental Cyprus page and get an instant quote which will offer you the best deals from top car rental providers.
John writes for Novacarhire.com - an independent car hire reservation website where you can book low cost car hire at over 5,000 locations worldwide.